Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

BlogDay has arrived!


Barefoot Blogger
Originally uploaded by nicholasjon.
Today is BlogDay--one day set aside for bloggers from around the world to spread the word about five sites they have discovered in their travels through the blogosphere. Created by Israeli blogger Nir Ofir--founder of Israel's first commercial weblog service--BlogDay gives folks an opportunity to put the word out about cool sites they've come across and encourage others to check them out as well.

Although I could easily have doubled or tripled the list, I tried to choose blogs representing a range of countries and themes. Nevertheless, my personal interests in writing, outrageous and opinionated humor, blogging issues, and mental illness are amply represented here.

And here they are...

Tiny Voices in my Head: Straight from "Bumfuck Nowhere, Pennsylvania, USA" comes this hilarious and entertaining site featuring bizarre blogtech issues, drunken mayhem, psycho stalkers, spammer freaks, and more. I think Webmiztris puts it best herself: "What you read here will be generally unrefined, sarcastic, and humorous (if you are easily amused). If you are easily offended and masochistic, you've come to the right place." Now, that's my kind of blogger babe!

The Y Logs: French blogger, graphic designer and tech writer Yzabel's blog was recently feaatured as part of The Blog Herald's highly coveted 100 Blogs in 100 Days Project. Her excellent site tackles the "woes of the writer" as well as the "secret art of blogging," among other topics. In addition, the Y Logs boasts a clean, elegant, and super-readable format, which definitely doesn't hurt.

ProBlogger: Darren Rowse from Melbourne, Australia turned his blogging passion into a full time, very lucrative gig. This site--one of 16 odd ones Darren has created--is "dedicated to helping other bloggers learn the skills, share their own experiences, and promote the blogging medium." There is a wealth of information here for those who aspire to generate income from blogging--as well as the personal blogger who just wants to enhance and improve their site's exposure and traffic--including the series "31 Days to Building a Better Blog." Well worth checking out.

Hailing from Texas, USA, The Sarcastic Journalist found herself on the front page of the Washington Post after being fired for blogging last year. With one baby and another on the way, TSC's writings are divided into numerous categories, including baby mama drama, mindless rants, potentially offensive material, pure sarcasm, and this writer's life. Here is her caveat: "If you want a good recipe for chicken pot pie, I suggest you look elsewhere. But? If you want to see someone tell it like it is, use sarcasm and just talk of life openly, you've come to the right place." Feels like home to me!

Been Broken: From the UK comes this frank, moving and thought provoking blog which deals with mental illness from a personal and societal perspective. "Broke" tackles the struggles of dealing with a bewildering and sometimes terrifying health care system, shame and stigma, and knotty issues such as free will and choice as it relates to mental health issues. Broke, who has struggled with his illness for 30 years, eventually earned a Ph.D. and at long last landed a job he loves--but not before enduring "prolonged periods of homelessness, trouble with the police, repeated breakdowns," and substance abuse issues. A fascinating and inspiring read.

16 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger broke said...

Thanks for this write-up elvira - I'm really touched by your including my site in your list.
Take care
B

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding me to your BlogDay list as well as to your links list, Elvira. I'm really glad that you like my blog, and that you thought it deserved the honor.

*smiles*

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Webmiztris said...

that's so much! I feel special! and not just special-ed this time! :)

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo SG,

I'm a soulful blogger with no home.
But, I'm lucky to have somewhere to lay my fingers down on the keys and send wordage out to cyberspace.
Stay on those keys, but get out in the sunshine, girl! Take BG too.

I'll get to the closet for a quick refresher course in guilt. Keep those dancing girls (and Rhea) away from Ezra Jr. He's too busy keeping his apt clean and quiet for that nonsense.

CB

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Hey Broke, Yzabel, and Webmiztris:

You guys have awesome sites--I just wanted to share the joy!

And Yzabel: I first saw the BlogDay info on your site--thanks!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

BLLB/CB:

Let's see...blog/sunshine. Blog/sunshine. Hmmm--tough call!

I could always go to the internet "hot spots" in the city where you can do the wireless laptop thing. But I don't think those exist in the wilds of the Bronx.

No dancing girls or Rhea for BG anymore! Just let them try to get their hooks into my man--they'll be in for the catfight of their life! Anyway, he would fight them all off with a hot soapy sponge if they got in his way.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Dear Spambots:

It's been fun, but I have finally decided to go with the word verification trend. Yes, I know, I don't like to follow the mob and mindlessly jump on every new bandwagon, but this one seemed like a good idea. Sorry I had to delete two of you, but I did leave the breast milk donation/penis enlargement link as a public service to all those overly lactating moms and size challenged guys out there.

Fare thee well....don't mean to be a snob, but I'm afraid I have to limit commenters to those who can read and write a nonsensical word.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Danny said...

WOW! That is cool! BlogDay - I'll definitely take the time to check out what's out there.

Yeah, those spambots are a trip,eh? Maybe spammers should be penalized by having all their keys ripped out of their keyboard and ALL of their confidents of their hard drives readily exposed to the public? LOL Perhaps that's too ridiculous!

Admittedly, I've been
pretty closed-minded. :( Reaching out seems to be one of the first steps towards recovery.

Anyway, that having been said, thank you once again for taking the time to stop by my blog. I look forward to reading yours and many others' as well! :)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Hi Danny:

Thanks for stopping by! I think the blogosphere is a wonderful thing. All the sites I listed for blogday were discovered through links from other sites--same with yours! It's amazing what's out there. The only downside is that it would take many lifetimes to discover and read all the great ones...

Yes, spambot denial has to be overcome before it can be conquered...lol.

I've just scratched the surface of your site, but I will visit again soon and blabber all over your blog some more!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Well, I have visited broken and a couple of the others after I get caught up with everyone that I normally visit on a daily basis....I am in blog withdrawal. I miss everyone and don't know what is going on with anyone.....gotta go surf.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

JC:

It is definitely becoming addictive for me--the more great sites I spot, the more I want to revisit them. I tell myself I'm just gonna check my messages, but the next thing you know I'm checking in at all the great blogs and then I glance at the clock and realize half the day has gone by. Well, it keeps me off the streets...

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for using my pic -- sorry I didn't notice until now! :)

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one 'barefootblogger' to another, dig your digs my friend... apple friendly barefoot blogger myself. Rock on shit rat!

-barefootblogger.blogspot.com

I definitely gotta get me some of those kickin' red nylon pants though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home