Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Saturday, October 01, 2005

And now, a word about my (non) sponsor


Sherman boy
Originally uploaded by Elvira Black.
Before continuing on to part 2 of Magnificent Obsession, I wanted to write a few words (in addition to the thousands I have written thus far in this blog) about my boyfriend BG, his art, and his attitude regarding my blog.

A few months ago, I began to incorporate some of BG's expressionist portraits into Shithouse rat. On occasion, I also managed to persuade BG to take 10 minutes or so to draw a funny illustration for a blog post. One example can be found here.

Nevertheless, I haven't utilized BG's art here in awhile. As far as the paintings, I generally have to do a post that somehow relates to the portrait at hand--be it Ezra Pound,, Humprey Bogart, Sid Vicious, or other notables.

BG never pressed me to post his art, but I thought it would be a nice addition to my blog. Since he didn't have a formal portrait of Dr. U (lol), I thought it would be funny as hell if he did a quick sketch of her in her surgical scrubs to accompany my latest piece.

But BG is a man of many moods and mental states. Being a schizo, he tends toward paranoia at times. Although I read him the post below during a night of partying, and he liked it, the next day he decided that he disapproved of me using my blog to "cut people down"--especially people he dealt with. He then started railing about the fact that I, too, had complained on occasion about my dentists or doctors. Although he'd told me many VA horror stories, he didn't like me to rub his nose in it. And always beneath the surface was the fear of getting into some sort of "trouble" for things I posted.

Though BG is an artist and I am a writer, I've never pushed my work down his throat. He doesn't know squat about computers, and he likes to refer to my beloved Mac PowerBook (aka Herman) as "that stupid toy." He thinks I waste a lot of time blogging, and is definitely jealous of the time I invest in Herman and my blog. Deep down, I'm sure he understands, but he loves to kvetch nonetheless.

Since I don't take the time to print out most of the pieces I blog about, he hasn't read that many of them. Once in awhile I'll read him one, and though he insists he'd be more than happy to see them all, he's not exactly on his knees begging to peruse them either. Since I often bare my blogger soul here, I've remarked to him more than once that regular Shithouse readers probably know more about me, in a way, than he does.

Nevertheless, I love him dearly--and that is a vast understatement.

So, although it has no relevance whatsoever to Robo-dentist, here is BG's portrait of Union General William Tecumseh Sherman, the burner of Atlanta, who coined the saying "war is hell." Since I name a lot of BG's works, I like to call this one "Portrait of the Artist as General Sherman"--not because it looks like BG (though in a way it does) but because something of BG's persona seems to shine through in this portrait, as it does in all his works.

And indeed, Sherman's grim, stubborn, fierce, determined expression is very similar to BG's visage when he refused to indulge me with an illustration for my latest post.

Yes, General Sherman, "war is hell." But the reason I spend so much time on my blog dissecting crazy, weird, nasty, and bizarre folks like Robo-dentist can best be summed up with another quote--this one courtesy of Jean Paul Sartre:

"Hell is other people."

22 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger jane said...

sounds like BG has blog envy. he's actually a very talented artist, great portrait.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

Sartre has much wisdom to offer. I agree with a lot of what he says. I did something very wise myself the other day, I dropped Latin.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Jane:

Many thanks! Actually, I think BG has blog jealousy rather than envy--he hates to see me spend so much time with Herman the Mac. But he sure doesn't complain when Herman fetches him an awesome photo to use as inspiration for his next painting, or a listing of cool downtown bars with happy hours. He does wants to get his own computer at some point and perhaps plumb the mysteries of the internet.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Ice:

Even if you haven't read the boy, just the titles of Sartre's works sound cool--No Exit, Nausea, etc.

Dropping Latin--well, can't say I blame you. I don't think I'd find it useful to blog in Latin anyway, and unless you're going to be Pope or something, I don't know who you'd converse with.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Walker said...

I like BG's paintings. Knowing about some of the subjects he has painted I could relate to how he views them. Sherman was a stanch carrot up the ass kind of person. Did I say carrot. Hmmmm I meant Huge zuccinni which made him a mean and shrewd tactician well suited for his job. Leave nithing for the enemy to rebuild and use against you. Perfect strategy used by the Russians in 2 world wars.
I see that in the painting.
You have Herman. I have the 3 stooges as in 3 laptops on 3 rooms.(not including the main desktop unit.)
To bad I would have liked to see his view of the dentist in a drawing. I'll just close my eyes and envision a stick girl in a green sheet.
Kinda KKKish or is that Aliennish.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

All of this artistry reminds me of Emmylou Harris lyrics. I'll be sending some soon.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

So you're saying that Medieval Ecclesiastical Latin is uncool for an athiest?

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Even without his picture, I will have a picture of robo dentist in my mind for a long time. I used to draw a lot, but I had to be in the mood to do it. I am the same way about writing, I have to have a writing mood in order to do anything. Sometimes I wander the blogs looking for inspiration to get me in the mood. Other times I can't wait to get to the computer so that I can bang out what has been rolling around in my head. Maybe he will be in a robo dentist mood at some point.

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

BG seems to be quite talented and interesting. I can tell you do care deeply for him. Perhaps you can keep a distance between him and Herman (smiling)

I am happy for you to have someone so special in your life. Wishing you all the happiness life has to offer.

Tks for visiting and commenting while I was gone, left you a note there.

Take care and all will be fine....I have faith in you! (smiling) You are quite the writer and very talented yourself.

Your friend....Suzie

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Walker:

LOL--and thanks. As I noted in an older post, BG does expressionist portraits--expressionist meaning, in his case, that all his subjects look crazy, pissed off, or depressed--or all of the above.

Apparently, Sherman didn't glamorize war, and understood its hellishness, but saw it, I suppose, as an evil necessity.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Ice:

Re: Emmylou Harris--you might want to post her lyrics on your blog.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Ice:

Latin seems cool enough, but for me it falls under the rubric of diminishing returns--a lot of work to learn it, and not enough payoff to justify studying it (at least for me).

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

JC:

Thanks...I can't draw a stick figure, but it must be cool to be able to draw as well as write. BG could do it in a heartbeat--he just won't, and that's that. Go figure.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Suzie:

Thank you my friend. I love your blog and hope you'll return soon, with new adventures to share.

Yes, I do think BG is my soulmate. We're not always in perfect harmony, but that would be rather boring, no?

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

I like the idea about posting the lyrics, but since I don't own the copyright, I'm not sure that it would be wise. I like Emmylou, but not enough to want to see her in court.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

I'm curious, did you like the Emmylou lyrics I sent the other day?

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

Elvira, there are now lyrics to two Emmylou Harris songs posted on my site. I'd like your opinion. Maybe you could analyze how her lyrics are different from those of SIK?

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Ice:

OK, Just to spell a few things out here:

When I said you might want to post Emmylou Harris lyrics on your blog, I was implying: post them if you wish, just not on MY blog. Capiche?

I welcome all comments, but on my blog at least, I would like them to relate in some way to the topic of the post. Otherwise, I might get the impression you didn't read the post, and everyone knows how pouty and miffed I get when that happens.

We've been over the SIK stuff a zillion times, and frankly, I'm sick of SIK. Yes, of course Emmylou Harris's lyrics will be infinitely better than SIK's. And so?

I hope this clarifies matters. Thanks.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

Okay, sorry to bother you. I did read the post, and I'm sorry I dared to mention anything different. Compared to some things that get posted on here, I thought Emmylou Harris was rather a tame subject. I also figured that a SIK referece was okay, but obviously not. Apparently, there is really no way of knowing, so I don't feel that I have anything to offer anymore.

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad-

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Anonymous:

Hmmm---that could be taken in an infinite number of ways. I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home