Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Saturday, October 29, 2005

A very special Halloween


Pumpkin heads
Originally uploaded by Hourman.
This Halloween will mark the seventh anniversary of the night I first met my boyfriend BG. It also happens to be BG's birthday.

I was in my favorite dive bar in the Village that night back in '98, with my regular drinks on the bar (Stoli on the rocks with a splash of club soda, no fruit, no umbrella--and a pint of Bass) when BG walked in. He had planned to see the Village Halloween parade, but it was still too early, so fate dictated that my soulmate would spot my bar, come down the stairs, and get a drink or three. The bar was especially crowded for Halloween; the bartender was dressed as a mod seventies chick, complete with pink afro.

BG sidled up to the bar, and we started to chat. After awhile, he asked: "Can I buy you a drink?"

"Twist my arm," I replied.

The rest is history.

I always try to plan some special outings for BG's birthday. Sometimes they work; sometimes they are a flop. This Halloween, BG has alternated between having a big blowout and just moping at home.

We finally discussed tentative plans in earnest yesterday. Whether they will all come to fruition remains to be seen. I never know with BG's changeable moods.

Today we plan to make it a Bronx day and cab it up to Van Cortlandt Park for the Haunted Happenings event at the Van Cortlandt House Museum. I've heard tell they have some great Irish bars in the area, so we may stop by one or two afterwards.

Tomorrow we'll go to the New York Botanical Garden, our favorite oasis in the Bronx, for the Halloween on Haunted Walk extravaganza.

Then for BG's birthday on Monday, the plan is to hit the "city" (aka Manhattan). After I go to the bank and get lots of drinking dough, our first stop will be Sam Ash on West 48th Street--THE place to buy musical instruments of all kinds--to get BG a chromatic harmonica. We might take in a movie--Capote is supposed to be great--and maybe head to Tower Records on West 4th Street or St. Mark's sounds to pick up a few Johnny Winter CD's BG has been hankering for.

And finally, to top off the evening, we'll likely do some barhopping down in my 'hood on the Lower East Side.

I plan to bring my camera and post some wild and crazy pix here.

So what are you all doing for Halloween?

7 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Timothy said...

You are such a good person!! I am happy that have someone in your life. Someday, I hope that I will have someone in my life who will want to make my birthday a concern. Halloween is a cool time to have an anniversary!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Radin said...

Happy birthday to BG. Have a good time.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger digibrill said...

Happy birthday, BG. You guys have a great time and be careful with the beverages. Sounds like a blast.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Emerald eyes:

Thank you--same to you!

Yes, I adore that pumpkin photo. Flickr (its tags) are great for this sort of thing. Glad you enjoyed the tale of how BG and I met. I'd been looking for Mr. Right for a long time, so when he showed up and was so perfect, I really felt like it was written in the stars.

As for the photos--lol--I'm putting up what I can, because our plans got waylaid, as per the posts above.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Timothy:

Thank you--I think you are very cool too! You never know when that special someone will walk into your life--I wish you the best in finding her!

As far as the anniversary--well, we really don't do anything special for that--the Halloween birthday kind of overrides everything. But at least I have no trouble remembering the date we met!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Radin:

Thanks! Well, we had a good time so far, but our big plans fell through, and I think Halloween itself is shaping up to be anticlimactic. But at least there's cool Halloween stuff on the tube...

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Digibrill:

Thank you. Ah, be careful with the beverages--how prophetic you are!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home