Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Thursday, December 22, 2005

It's nice to have a Guy in New York


Naked Cowboy in Times Square
Originally uploaded by Mister V.
Wouldn't you know it? What with all my fancy-schmancy talk about blog carnivals, I forgot to mention New York City's own Big Apple Blog Festival.This is, of course, a carnival primarily for New York City-related blogs.

This week, A Guy in New York, the founder (I think) of this fest, was the host. Since I was actually laying off my blog-whoring ways for a few days at least, imagine my surprise when I discovered that Guy had posted an unsolicited link to my latest "comment" rantwithout me having to shamelessly slut myself out with an e-mail alerting him to my post.

Anyway, this week's festival offers an embarassment of New York riches, including, of course, lots of kvetching, which is as automatic to New Yorkers as breathing. To get an idea of how New Yorkers deal with the space limitations of their apartments, check out this post by The Beliggerent Intellectual, who has to rearrange or even THROW OUT furniture in order to fit a Christmas tree into his closet-sized abode every year. Hey, who WOULDN'T want to subsist in an apartment smaller than a death-row cell--all for the privilege of living in the city? Yeah, people are lunatics here.

If you'd like to get a better idea of what a blog carnival is all about, or if you're a New York blogger looking for some shout-outs, you can find this week's fest here.

(Oh yeah-- this is the Naked Cowboy of Times Square, one of the city's most beloved folk heroes and tourist attractions.)

End of pimp-out. Please continue kvetching below.

Technorati tags:







16 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger dan said...

That picture of the cowboy was kind of gatuitous wasn't it? I mean how many landmarks can a city have and you choose the muscular one in briefs...

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Dan:

Jeez, isn't it enough that you're the fastest rising blog-hunk I know without putting down my favorite NYC icon? Meanwhile you've got all your female readers flinging their virtual panties in your face. Sheesh.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Why don't we have a naked cowboy in D.C.? All we get is Shrub (Bush).

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Washington Cube:

But the Shrub is such a babe! That strong, determined, yet cross eyed gaze of smouldering steel; that heroic stance, whether at the podium or on the golf course; that hot, rippling bod...sigh... Shrub has got it ALL goin' on.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

I have seen the Naked Cowboy on television before. Personally, I would like to see him up close and personal sans briefs. Do you happen to know whether he's available for hire?

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger dan said...

"Shrub's got it all going on?"

Wow. Now I know the country's going to hell in a handbasket.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Ice:

Here's his website. Knock yourself out. See especially his "model photo" link. Good for hours of fun.

He has contact info on his site, including a phone number. He's available for...well...appearances or functions or something. Help yourself.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Dan:

They say Shrub's a mean mother...

Shut your mouth!

I'm just talkin' bout Shrub!

He's a complicated man, but no one understands him but his woman....(Dubby Shrub.)

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger PG said...

lol...... Only in NYC.
And I thought LA was supposed to be wacky.

Anyhoo, Seasons Greetings Miss Elvira!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

crazylittlekitty:

New York doesn't like to be outdone by anything or anyone-- particularly when it comes to LA and/or wacky.

Happy Holidays to you!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

I would go crazy in an apartment that small.

Betting the cowboy got cold...and had shrinkage!!! (smiling) Reminds me of a Sienfeld episode of George....(LOL)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Suzie:

Everything in NYC is on a smaller scale, but you have to be young to survive in a closet-sized apartment. In my 20s I ate out all the time anyway, spent a lot of time clubbing or bar hopping, and had the stamina to lug groceries up four flights of stairs. As they say here, location, location, location!

I saw Naked Cowboy out in chilly weather, so I assume shrinkage ensued. Maybe I should contact him via his website and ask him if that's a..er... big problem.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Well..Cowboy certainly couldn't go around like George Costanza screaming "it was the pool." He could, however, wish everyone a Happy Festivus.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

When we see cowboys dressed like that out here in the sticks, we just figure he's hit the shine a little too much.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Washington Cube:

The Naked Cowboy does seem like a very festive type. He's...er...pimping himself out on his website, and apparently is an international success. At least that's the impression I got from his website after a brief look.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Mr. 12 step:

This guy doesn't seem like he's hitting the shine--more like hitting the jackpot!

Somehow this reminds me: there's a "hot" new movie that deals with gay cowboys. Lots of people may avoid this film (not that there's anything wrong with that...the gay thing that is) but it's getting lots of critical acclaim and accolades. I think it has some sort of explicit scenes, but I'm not sure exactly.

I suppose there are some gay cowboys for real; it just goes against the traditional cowboy stereotype in a really weird way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home