Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Just a random thought...


one less tv
Originally uploaded by Kevin Steele.
...since I can't seem to think of anything more profound to write about at the moment:

Here's three TV programs I wish they'd bring back in reruns:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show:
I lost my mom when I was a young teen in the early 70s, and I didn't show much grief in front of my friends on the outside, though I was devastated beyond description. The thing that got me through that dark time was being able to immerse myself in the comfort of TV shows like MTM.

The backstory on "Mare" was that she'd been living with a guy, putting him through med school, and then got dumped when he graduated. Pretty risque back in 1970. These and other shows I watched during my "formative years" helped me see what an independent woman could accomplish with or without a man by her side.

In my 80s partying days, they brought back MTM and showed several episodes at, like, 3 am every Sunday night. Many's the time my ex-boyfriend L and I would still be wide awake with the pre-Monday blues, not willing to accept that the weekend was over before finally collapsing after MTM and getting a few hours sleep before work. Ugh.

The Bob Newhart Show (the older one with Suzanne Pleshette):
Another one from the same era. Suzanne as Bob's wife Emily was a great foil for Newhart. His gentle, self-effacing, low-key comedy was also very soothing. To me, Bob and Emily were the perfect childless urban couple--another set of role models for me. I loved their Chicago high rise apartment and the fact that at the end of the day they always snuggled in their big bed with the designer comforter and talked and joked together. If I remember correctly, the same network that showed MTM in the 80s also brought back Bob N--leading to even later Sunday night marathons.

Thirtysomething:
This was a true guilty pleasure for me when I was twentysomething. Now that I'm fortysomething, I'd love to see those shows again. They had a marathon a few years ago one holiday weekend, but that's the last time I've seen it.

L hated that show, and I actually had to turn down the volume when it came on because he detested the opening theme tune so much. I guess it's what you might call "a chick's show," and I couldn't get enough of it, though I had no intention of settling in the burbs and having kids. For me, it was kind of like observing someone's older and more mature brothers and sisters being "real adults." I put myself on a wait list in case the show ever does become available on tape/DVD, but so far no go.

Anyone else out there miss these shows? Or are there any others that you wish they'd bring back?

7 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger artdetective said...

I think that you can still catch Mary Tyler Moore on Nick at Nite. At least, a few years ago you could.

I would totally watch Moonlighting if it were on. And My So-Called Life, which was made by the same people who did Thirtysomething.

My guiltiest pleasure of all is the Golden Girls, which TV Land plays. :)

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

artdetective:

Ooh, I would be in heaven if I can see MTM again! Maybe it was broadcast before I had Nick at Nite, or something, but I'm gonna check the listings.

I didn't really catch Moonlighting much when it was on, but I know it was a much-loved show. Ditto for my So-Called Life, which I'd try to catch if they brought it back.

Well, you can definitely get your Golden Girls fix easily, since it seems to be in heavy rotation nowadays--lol.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger mrhaney said...

i did like mary tyler moore. i beleive there was a guy on there named ted. he was real funny. one show i wish they would bring back is all in the family. i am 61 and i grew up watching westerns with my grandfather and i wish they would show thosee old westerns again.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

mrhaney:

Hey, good to see you here! Well, the cable system we have here currently has All in the Family on TV Land or Nick at Nite, and I know there's plenty of Bonanza reruns and I think Gunsmoke to be had for the asking. But I really want to see MTM again--and yes, Ted Baxter the news anchor was a pisser, wasn't he?

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Odd Couple-one of my all time favorite sitcoms-absolutley genius!!--I would be in heaven if they rerunned those shows--but I dont have cable and its pretty unlikely that they would ever re-run them on network. maybe if I hound the WB enough...

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Brink:

Ah yes, the Odd Couple--how could I forget? I remember seeing reruns on network, but perhaps that was pre-cable. Maybe we should start a campaign of some sort--lol...

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a acampaign to bring back the odd couple!!--sounds great. how would one go about such a thing?letters to our senators?

and while we are at it, lets do what we can to bring back the bob newhart show and MTM as well. these shows were all avante guarde at the time they ran. bob newhart--man that show was hilarious--do you remeber the "bob" drinking game? bars around austin (and elsewhere?) would have "Bob nights" where people would get together and watch the show on the "bigscreen" (hey, this was 1982!)--whenever someone would say "Bob" on the show (which as you may recall was quite often--haha) the person playing would have to take a drink--sophmoric but funny....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home