Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Blog recycling is a beautiful thing

'Tis the season to go crazy trying to live up to the feel-good expectations of the holidays. With this in mind, I've reposted a Christmas piece I did here last year to Blogcritics called "The Holidays: Is That All There Is?"

On Monday I see my shrink and have to deal with this dilemma: upping my Effexor seems to be helping me, but it's messing with my eyesight somewhat. I don't want to go back into total couch potato/nonwriting mode again, so I'm a little apprehensive. Dealing with antidepressants can sometimes be downright depressing.

I think we've finally got a deal going with selling the coop. Since real estate has been my obsession--or even more so than usual--for the last several months, I have a post pending on it. Not my first by any means, so I want to go back and make sure I'm not being too redundant. It appears that the bursting of the "housing bubble" hasn't really affected Manhattan much. Wall Streeters just got record bonuses, and brokers are frothing at the mouth at all the potential sales that might result.

Despite my holiday cynicism, I wish everyone a great holiday season!

9 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

It's nice to see you posting again!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Timothy said...

The side effects of anti-depressants can be very depressing and make more issues for those who have enough already. Makes one wonder if they are worth it. Kind of like voting for president, lesser of the 2 evils. I choose not to take nay but some times wonder if I should.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the Number One consistently disappointing holiday of the year: New Year's Eve, hands down.

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with all three comments.

Have so much to get done, and have to go to the building's annual holiday party because the staff makes it and it's considered bad form not to go. But I so don't want to....

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

New York Moments--

It's funny, but right before I got your comment, I headed over to your blog to see what was new. I hear you on the job from hell. I still have nightmares--vivid, detailed, horrible nightmares--about my old jobs, so I can relate.Thanks for visiting!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Timothy:

You hit the nail on the head. It's kind of frightening to think that a pill might be the only thing standing between me and a mental/emotional breakdown. I see my shrink today and don't know what I'll do if he tells me to go back to the old dose. I might descend back into total couch potato mode in which I don't seem to have the ability or enthusiasm needed to write.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Al:

Even worse to me is that come January 1 the "holiday" hoopla is officially over. The city looks so barren without all the lights and glitter. Then we have no holidays to look forward to until, I guess, President's Day, and winter starts to really kick in (though we've had such mild weather I don't know about that).

I've never been brave (or is it foolish) enough to venture to Times Square proper on New Year's eve, though I used to go to a spot on, I think, 7th Avenue where you could look downtown and see the ball drop in the distance. Then you'd turn around, walk a few steps into Central Park, and catch a fireworks display. At the same time, people would begin running a marathon in the park. Kind of a three ring circus, but since people have probably "discovered" it by now, it's likely been "ruined." And getting a cab home? No freaking way.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Pia:

It's terrible to be strong-armed into that holiday cheer. If you did go, I hope it wasn't too traumatic. I'm no good at parties either.

 
At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wtf you are the master of you own fate.what does "have a breakdown" mean to you?How can you beleive a pill is keeping you sane? you are like dumbo beleiving the feather is making you fly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home