Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Saturday, October 29, 2005

A TERRIFYING night at home!


BGs jack o lantern
Originally uploaded by Elvira Black.
Yep, just as I expected, BG punked out and we didn't go to Van Cortlandt park tonight for the big Halloween blowout.

Me (this morning) "we're going, right?"

BG: "I'm not going up there."

Me: "Why not?"

BG: "I just heard someone got killed there."

Me: "Yeah, right. Where did you hear or see this one? Show me."

BG: "No kidding, it was just on the news. Twelve people got murdered. And...and...a few of them died!"

What a punk.

Instead, we stayed in, had a few drinks, I made a big pot of spaghetti, and BG carved this pumpkin. Keep in mind this is after a few bottles of Guinnesses, etc.

Looks schizophrenic, doesn't it? Even our jack o'lantern is mentally ill.

The following scary tidbits are courtesy of IO Digital cable channel 841, Music Choice/Sound of the Seasons, which is playing all Halloween songs this weekend--like Club Ghoul, Sarchophagus Shuffle, Redneck Dracula, Here Comes the Bride (of Frankenstein), and Boogyman Nights. You know, all the Grammy award winners (lol).

Some ancient cultures believed that bats were the ghost of someone who was not yet reincarnated.

Why didn't the skeleton cross the road? Because he didn't have any guts.

In England, Halloween was first known as Mischief Night.

Werewolf legends date back to ancient Greece and Rome.

Months that start on a Sunday always have a Friday the 13th.

In the year 2000, the largest pumpkin weighed 1140 pounds.

Because of Protestant beliefs, Halloween was not celebrated much during Colonial times.

On Halloween in 1926, magician Harry Houdini died after sustaining a blow to the abdomen.

Trick or treating began when families left food on their doorsteps to keep hungry spirits from entering the house.

National candy corn day is October 30.

Alcatraz prison is said to be the most haunted on earth, with over 100 ghouls reported.

Pretty scarifying, isn't it? I spared everyone the even cornier ones...

14 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Blogger Justine said...

reminds me of the Donnie Darko pumpkin!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Timothy said...

Cool pumpkin! Sorry you got punked.
Happy Halloween!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Webmiztris said...

candy corn is such a mystery to me. it's so popular, yet I don't know anyone who actually EATS the stuff....ick!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger jane said...

I love to listen to Sounds of the Season, especially around Christmas time.
hey now, you show that mentally ill pumpkin some love, ya hear me?

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Danny said...

Happy Halloween! As a matter of fact, I had some candy corn a few days ago. I don't quite have the sweet tooth for it anymore though.

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Walker said...

I don't know I like the pumpkin. Throw in a candle and I'm sure it would look scary.
Halloween has become such a nightmare because of the idiots now a days that is living up to its name.
It is also a big business.

Happy Halloween BOOOO

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Justine:

I haven't seen that movie, but I just checked out a few websites and it looks like a must-see--how'd this one slip us by? I'll have to assume that the Donnie Darko pumpkin was cool--so thanks!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Timothy:

Thanks! I thought it looked kinda mangy, but actually that's part of its charm, I think. Happy Halloween to you too!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Webmiztris:

Aesthetically, it's clever and beautiful. But I agree--as a candy, it sux!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Emerald Eyes:

Thanks--same to you! Glad you like the fun facts and all.

Yes, we have had fun so far--thing is, we've both become less adventurous, so it's so easy to say screw it, we'll just party at home as usual. BG's quite a live wire, and can be a party all unto himself!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Jane:

The Halloween music was entertaining for awhiie, but boy some of the songs are so BAD! Just novelty knock-off stuff. We have a Halloween CD that sounds John Carpenter-ish, so we play that too.

Yes, BG's pumpkin has grown on me. We've put it to good use so far, and it seems to be aging well and getting more deranged looking by the minute.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Danny:

Happy halloween to you too! Candy corn isn't one of my faves, but it sure is pretty! You have to have quite a sweet tooth for it too, because it's got enough sugar to put you in a diabetic coma.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Walker:

Thanks--we did put a candle in it and it did look kind of menacing. I loved your Halloween post! Yes, Halloween is just like Christmas now--big big buildup, lots of money spent, and all that. To me, it kind of marks the beginning of the holiday season though, which is cool.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Brink:

Happy halloweeny to you too!

Yes, I have to admit, BG's pumpkin does have character--or something. It's certainly one of a kind!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home