Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

All is vanity...


damn, i'm good
Originally uploaded by John C Abell.
"Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity."
--Ecclesiastes 1

Hey you guys: have I told you lately that I love you?

Thank you so much for all the cool comments to my post Eat, Blog, and be Merry. Just wanted to mention (ahem) that this post has been linked to the Carnival of the Vanities, which is hosted this week at The examining room of Dr. Charles. The doc has all the links submitted this week under a bunch of different categories--mine's in the first section under Science and Medicine, oddly enough. If you can, swing on by because he has links to a lot of great looking posts this week.

I've mentioned the Carnivals once before, but wanted to let you all know that submitting to one of the blog carnivals is a great way to get your best posts more exposure. There are now a plethora of different carnivals, but Carnival of the Vanities is the oldest. Here's the deal in a nutshell:

Carnival of the Vanities is hosted by a different blog each week (though sometimes one blogger will host more than one). With this carnival, you choose a link to a cool post you've done in the current week and submit it (with a line or two of info) before the blogger's deadline. Then, s/he posts the links on his/her blog on the designated day.

Another Carnival that is probably still around is the Best of Me Carnival, where you can submit older posts that you think are particularly good.

There are carnivals on a wide number of different topics and categories. I provided a link in my older post, but see Siflay Hraka's post here for comprehensive info and other links to Carnival listings. Siflay is the originator of the Carnival of the Vanities, and his site is definitely worth a visit as well.

So submit those links y'all and spread the word about your best posts!

Technorati tags: Carnival of the Vanities, blog carnivals

25 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ladybug said...

i have seen some really unusual vanity plates, and the occasional sick, egotistical and materialistic ones. i personally have agricultural plates, rather pay those extra bucks for a good purpose, ya know.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Walker said...

Vanity plates, what a concept. There was a guy who kept getting busted by the cops and had a hard time firguring out how they kept getting him. He bought new cars and still theys nail him every time. I guess it went right over his head that his plates were of all things DRG DLR.
Oh well buzzzzzzzzzzz

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love ecclesiastes..

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Justine said...

Gud means God in some languages.

As in "God i have a lot of reading to catch up with on Shithouse Rat..."

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

That sounds neat....

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Jessie:

Agricultural plates...since I don't drive, I'm not sure what they are, but they sound rustic!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Walker:

LOL. I take it since they busted him, he really eas a drg dlr?

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Nikky Egland:

Yes, you're right! I have the same subconscious reaction. Something about the word carnival...

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Guile:

Yes, it's beautiful--as is your website! Great design there!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Justine:

LOL--I feel the same about your site. There's a lot of sites that I try to keep up with, but it's well nigh impossible sometimes.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Suzie:

Yes, it is neat! And it does boost your traffic...at least for a day or two--lol...

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Kerri Keberly said...

omg. i have never found another person who used the phrase "crazier than a shithouse rat"! the first time i said that around my husband, he looked at me like, "and just what the fuck is a shithouse rat, and why would they be crazy?"

sometimes i switch it up and use bat instead of rat.

do you, by any chance, also say, "happier than a pig in shit"?

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Justine said...

I may have said on occasion Happy as a pig in shit/ or/ Happy as a pig in mud, for PG audiences.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger MartiniForYourThoughts said...

congrats, hope you are doing well. hadnt heard from you but im back. reading and posting.
by the way my old neighbors vette had the plate RX MAN
what a fucking dipshit

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

So....does the "carnival" thingy have an overarching moderator? What causes it to rotate from blog to blog? Divine providence?

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Dr. Deb said...

That is a really funny vanity plate!


~Deb

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Ladybug said...

i wouldn't say rustic. they are farm landscape and the extra bucks goes to the agricultural preservation society. i'll take a pic and show ya.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Disgruntled:

I like to think that I'm making the term "crazier than a shithouse rat" just a little more well known--lol. I might have learned it from BG, because he's spent time down south.

Happier than a pig in shit--but of course! I think every emotion should have at least one simile that includes the word shit.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Disgruntled:

BTW: When switching from rat to bat , I prefer to use the term "batshit insane." Has a nice little ring to it, don't you think?

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Justine:

I think pigs are happy being in just about anything--shit, mud, slop, whatever. Or so I've heard. But mud is a nice PG substitute.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Cell 13:

Thanks--dunno if you're referring to the links I provided on "Three about me," but many of my posts have featured BG and I'm sure many more will too.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Cleverabuse:

Yes, good to see you back--good posts! I don't usually spot all the asinine vanity plates since I don't drive, but that's a good one.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

safetinspector:

I'm not completely sure about all the blog carnivals, but as far as I can tell there may be one main host who farms it out. Anyone can volunteer to host a carnival for a week or more. I just think it would be tough to do your own blog and host one week after week as well. And this way different carnival hosts get some more exposure along with the blogs linked.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Dr. Serani:

Yes, the plate's funny...do you have any insight into the possible disorders of the owner? I think I do...lol...

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Jessie:

Oh, OK--the agricultural plates do sound cool, and help a worthy cause--what's not to like?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home