Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Yowzah! Now THAT'S scary...


BG's decomposing masterpiece
Originally uploaded by Elvira Black.
This is, like, the pumpkin of Dorian Gray, isn't it?

After several nights of partying in celebration of BG's Halloween birthday and the anniversary of the day we met, this is what BGs masterpiece looks like now. Like pumkpkin, like pumpkinmeister--BG's gonna be feeling and looking pretty shitty in the morning--kinda like what you see here.

Actually got a few trick or treaters this year...most of the kids just hit the local stores for their candy loot though. Kinda cute to see them in their adorable costumes!

OK, enough with the Halloween already.

I'm happy to report that my New York Story 1(and 2) are featured links today on the Big Apple Blog Festival! This week the fest is hosted by Spinachdip. The entry here includes my links (yay!) plus interesting entries from other NYC bloggers--all on Spinachdip's cool blog.

More info about the Big Apple Blog Festival is here;a list of other blog carnivals can be found here.Blog carnivals feature a roundup of recent blog pieces by particular topic, and there are lots of them. So hey, why not submit some posts--take a look at all the categories and go for it!

19 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger Danny said...

hey, Elvira!


Tell BG he just might have a new trend there - art that mimics its creator! I dunno; it was the best that I could come up with. I'm so plum tuckered out, so I need to go to sleep. More apartments to look at tomorrow. :)

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger jane said...

Congratulations Elvira! That's one hell of an accomplishment. At least to me it is. I can see why it's featured there though, those stories bring you right to NYC.

That pumpkin is FRIED baby!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Timothy said...

Congrates on getting some ink!!! Good for you!! You are a very good writer!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Ladybug said...

maybe this recent accomplishment will give you the recoginition to get some short stories published.
visit me and check out loving twilight link. she's a long time friend and writes and publishes short stories. she has tons of links to other writers blogs and links in some of her posts to book editors and so on. she may be able to assist you if you'd like to pursue it.
the pumpkin is looking like an old man!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Danny said...

Oh by the way - congratulations are in order to you as well! :)))

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Justine said...

Nice! So they should be.

That pumpkin needs some cucumber over his eyes and a big glass of water :-)

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Walker said...

I saw alot of brother pumpkins to BG's pumkin last night on the way home that looked like his LOL. Some were smashed in the middle of the road.
But I wouldlike to think that the idea still exists and will be reborn next year.
Bigger
Orangier
And Scarier.


HA HA HA cough cough I need another smoke.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty cool link. Congrats.

Why don't you keep the pumpkin until next Halloween and see what it looks like?

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Webmiztris said...

poor pumpkin! lol - btw, that cat in the box tattoo is awesome!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger artdetective said...

Congratulations!

I checked out the Carnival site. Is it just me, or are there a lot of right-wing carnivals going on? Where are the liberal bloggers?

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger mrshellonheels said...

Way to go Elvira,Congratulations!!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger RevrendZ said...

Congrats! I'm looking forward to reading more New York stories, or any Elvira stories for that matter.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger mrshellonheels said...

Here is a link on how to carve a pumpkin correctly. Make sure you have the volumn turned up : )

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/sabotage/pumpkin_carve.asp

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Hey everyone:

Thanks so much for the congrats about the Big Apple Blog Fest. However, I don't think it's really all that big a deal, but I'll take what I can get (lol).

When I look at the pic of BG's disintegrated pumpkin, I don't quite know whether to laugh or run in horror. Who knew it would evolve into something so scarifying?

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Jessie:

Thanks so much again--I'm very flattered. But like it sez in my little profile, I've retired from the print publishing world--at least for the foreseeable future. Right now I'm just enjoying the blogging thing--but I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Neil:

Alas, we already threw pumpkin boy out. Didn't have the guts to deal with the full rotting process. Though maybe we should have done some stop motion photography, like in that Nine Inch Nails video where they show a dog decomposing really quickly--ugh, on second thought, maybe not.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Webmiztris:

Thanks--out of all BG's tattoos, that is one of my absolute faves.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

artdetective:

There seem to be a few links to Carnivals, and they may all be a little different. The one I supplied was from a conservative blog, I think, so maybe she only listed those that conformed to her philosophies.

Check out the listing from the TTLB Ubercarnival page. I think it's more comprehensive and up to date.

There are some wacky ones, but if I were to submit any more pieces, I think I'd go with either the Carnival of the Vanities, where you send a recent post that you think is link-worthy--or else the Best of Me carnival, where you can submit an older post.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

hell on heels:

Thanks--what a cute and informative site for carving a pumpkin! However, they forgot one step: start off sober! BG skipped that part, which is the most important one of all--lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home