Shithouse rat

I'm a bipolar writer in the Naked City. I'm not playing with a full deck. I don't have all my dots on the dice. My cheese is sliding off my cracker. I don't have both oars in the water. I'm a bubble off plum. In other words, I'm crazier than a shithouse rat. These are my stories. Comments--short or long, nasty or nice--always welcome!

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Blogger's remorse!


Blogging with Flickr
Originally uploaded by nico..
SCREWUP NUMBER ONE
Although I'm glad people liked it, I should never have posted BG's first "draft" of his Johnny Winter portrait. For one thing, he is vehement about not showing his work before it's finished, but I think one night after he had a few drinks he kind of said it would be ok--but it wasn't. So now I have to try to make sure he doesn't see that post.

In the second place, he worked on the painting about 4 hours yesterday, and it kicks the first version's ass--so now I feel doubly guilty. I had some cockamamie scheme to post pix of the painting at various stages, which I thought might be interesting. But I dare not now. But I will post it when he's finished with it.

The thing with BG's work is that often his "unfinished" versions are great as they are. They're rough and often quite stark and dramatic. Since he's self-taught, I've seen his techniques gradually become more varied and refined, and though all his work is Expressionistic, some of the more recent stuff is more finished and "realistic" looking than heretofore.

In any case, at this point he's started to add color (a major signature of all BG's works are the vivid colors) and transformed the nose to a more Johnny-esque shape. The shadowing is more subtle yet more intense. Wish I could post it here!

BG's explanation of his art, in part, is that a subject calls to him, "screaming" to be painted. The final product is "there," just waiting for him to complete it. I joked with him last night that he's kind of like a Dr. Frankenstein. Since much of the emotional impact of his paintings emerges from the way he renders the eyes, looking around his small studio apartment where he hangs some of his works you can really start to feel like you've got a bunch of disturbed souls staring you down from all sides. It's a little unnerving at times.

Well, anyway, sorry BG--I blew it. Hopefully you'll either never find out, or you'll come around to my way of thinking and let me post the work in various stages.

SCREWUP NUMBER TWO
Over two weeks ago, Digibrill of Letters to Theophilus tagged me for a meme. I still haven't done it yet. I know a lot of people kind of grumble about it, but I was secretly hoping someone would tag me. But it can be a little hard to do, can't it? So Digibrill, if you're still visiting, I'm working on it. (Yeah, yeah, sure...)

SCREWUP NUMBER THREE
I love getting comments, and I am pretty anal about responding. But I always seem to be behind. So if anyone gives two flips in hell, I will be responding to comments in the last two posts asap.

Other screwups will have to wait for another post.

Technorati tags: blogging, art, portraits

10 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Timothy said...

Oh, please show it!!! Come on BG! I would love to see a work in progress on your blog. I did that on my site with one of my pieces, but that is just me. I know how he feels about being private with his stuff. So, Johnny is a painting? He did it in black and white first and then adds color latter? That is a very good and effective technique. I bet there are people who would like to hear BG’s thoughts and ideas during the process. I know I do! I did a painting that way too. It is on my blog. I titled it “Warrior.” Although I can see some blaring ’mistakes,’ it is one of my best in my opinion. I really wished I could see Johnny in progress. Your blog has inspired me to create. I am ready to begin on my commissioned piece now. Thank you, E! Thank you, BG!!!!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Walker said...

Yayyyyy for screw ups.
I can understand how BG feels about his unfinished work.
Shame on you Elvira.
Now go to your room and don't come out until your wearing your Black Ninja outfit and get us another picture LOL
Well sometimes its hard answering comments at the time.
I have been known to let them go for a day or so when I have to many or I need to think about a response.
I hate doing memes but I enjoy doing them also.
I have a couple of readers that tag me on purpose just to see what I will say.
I have a rule with memes, I go to the extreme with my answers. WEhy beat around the bush when its more fun to just plow on through.

Have a nice weekend :D

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Timothy:

I've seen some of your art on your blog--very cool! It seems like blogs are the perfect place to showcase art.

I remember you mentioned a commissioned piece--I hope that you will not underprice yourself, and if possible ask for a deposit beforehand!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Walker:

LOL! Well, I worked around that little problem in my clandestinely clever way--after I read him all the nice comments, what could he say?

You are one of my biggest blogger role models: you write riveting stories, post daily (or at least on weekdays), and answer your (many) comments promptly.

I love comments, but I sometimes fall behind in answering them, and go back when I'm in the right frame of mind to do so. I know different people have different commenting styles, but for me I'm much more likely to go back to a site that allows comments and responds to them--or at least some of them.

Your recent meme was so great--just as you said you really used the opportunity to GO for it! I guess I'm hesitating because I don't want to do a lame one--also because so many other posts seem to be emerging.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Bipolar:

Yep, screw ups are part of what makes us human, and sometimes can lead to something positive anyway.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

emerald eyes:

Thank you so much for the positive words! I'd thought about a separate blog for BG, but for the time being I kind of like doing the collaborative thing here. When I started the blog, I didn't even know how to hyperlink, let alone adding photos, but now I either use a "BG" original or Flickr, which is really cool--and even easier to use now with their tag system.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Neil:

I'm on it!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Brink:

LOL--I'll tell BG about the support group--that sounds like a great idea! Judging from your blog, the work you're doing is amazing, evocative, and very original. That's so great that you will be showing after graduation. I always told BG that it's nice that the super sees his work on the walls when he's fixing the toilet and says it's nice, but it might be good to get it out there. Even if an artist is the next PIcasso (or whatever), it's doubtful anyone will come knocking on the door and discover them if no one ever sees the stuff!

But for the time being, I think putting it up on the blog is the best "gallery" forum for him. This way he can get immediate feedback, and it's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to do this way--at least for now.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger jane said...

You had good intentions when you posted his painting. It's obvious you believe so much in him & want him to be as proud of his work as you are. :)

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Jane:

Yes, well you know what they say...the road to hell is paved with good intentions (lol)...

I've been posting some of BG's work intermittently here...as someone pointed out, anyone interested can get a quick peek at what's been posted so far if you click on the pic-- which will take you to to my flickr photostream. Gotta love Flickr!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home